Pioneer Valley
Planning Commission

Eric Carle Museum, Amherst, MA
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Press Release

CONTACT: Jim Gray, Pioneer Valley Planning Commission (413) 781-6045 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 10, 2008

Brownfields Assistance Agreement Signed for Regional Project

The Pioneer Valley Planning Commission has signed a cooperative agreement with the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for $1,621,244 to clean up brownfield sites in Springfield, Chicopee, Holyoke, and Westfield. 

The agreement, dated April 17, 2008, is the result of PVPC’s conversion of its original Revolving Loan Fund to the Small Business Relief Rules for Brownfields. The new assistance agreement will provide funding to PVPC to capitalize the Pioneer Valley Regional Brownfields Cleanup Revolving Loan Fund. 

Brownfields are real property, the expansion, development, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. The EPA has agreed to cost-share 80 percent of all approved project costs up to the total federal funding of $1,351,037. The remaining 20 percent of the related project cost will be borne by the participating borrowers and developers. The project period for the award runs through December 31, 2014.

In early July, the Loan Review Committee approved a loan/grant of $900,000 to the city of Springfield for remediation of 121-165 Pinevale Street in Indian Orchard, as well as a loan/grant of $175,000 to the town of Monson for remediation of the site of the former South Main Street School.

Other projects currently being considered for funding are the former Hallmark property in Holyoke, and the former abrasives mill in Chester. Funding for cleanup efforts at these sites will be made available subject to US EPA approval. In addition, PVPC recently provided the town of Ware with funding for the cleanup of the former Ware Farm Equipment site on West Street, which is being considered for the construction of a public safety complex at a future date.

 

[an error occurred while processing this directive]